PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, January 12, 2014

update

Hi guys,
woah who's that?! Don't be afraid, it's just me the person who vanished from the Internet, and probably will disapear again.
It's been a while since my last post, and in that time happened some things. I have been incredibly busy with a project for school. It was a major project in which I invested 75 hours, it was a project about photography. I made my own camera and darkroom supplies (including the chemicals) from very common stuff, like instant coffee and ducttape. If you'd like to know more about this click the like to see more button.
here is a photo I made with my self build (pinhole) camera.
But that project was finished weeks ago. Right now it's winter, or at least it should be, where I live there hasn't been a single snowflake nor daytime freezing. We had the warmest December since ever. But I'm not that much into cold weather anyways so I'm not sad or anything. hehe. I have been to Keulen and Bonn in Germany. That was awesome. Although life can be busy I am happy. I noticed that doing nothing doesn't yield happieness. I was longing for having nothing on my to do list, but when that time came it was just empty. One or two days off are great but if I have longer vacations I really need to keep myself active. But whatever. I wasn't unhappy or something just a bit bored.
Well I guess I'll continue being busy learning for my exams for now.

bye,
Gemma


Let me tell you something about the project I was so busy with. In the Netherlands every student has to do a big assignment in the last year of high school, the size is depending on the school type you're on. I had to spend about 80 hours and make a 30 page report of it. You are free to choice the subject but you have to do a research. I searched for a way to make photos with only one film roll and stuff you probably have in your kitchen closets. The first step is the camera, I made a pinhole, I used some duct tape and a matchbox for it, see the link for a tutorial. Then I had to develop my pictures, I did this with caffenol, this is a solution of instant coffee, soda and vitamine-C tablets. As stopbath I used vinegar, and for the fixer I used very salt water. The problem with the salt water is that you need to keep your film in it for a few days. But it worked fine. I had some struggles in making working caffenol but I succeeded. Then I scanned the negatives and converted them on my computer. If you're interested in reading it, you can mail me. But it is in dutch so you have got to be able to read that. And it can be quite hard, it requires some knowledge about physics and chemistry. But its fun :) my email address is Submarinesandsewingmachines@live.nl


2 comments:

  1. Ik wil het lezen! Zo gaaf!!! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, love these images you made with your pinhole camera! I've never made my own darkroom chemicals, that is badass, girl. Your blog is really sweet, and also I love your big floppy hat! :)

    ReplyDelete